H.E. Dr. Bassam Samir Al Talhouni
H.E. Dr. Bassam Samir Al Talhouni - Senior Partner
Dr. Bassam Al Talhouni holds the position of Senior Partner at SERAJ Advocacy & Legal Counseling. He has over thirty (30) years of experience in commercial and corporate law, litigation and arbitration, covering almost all fields of law, both private and public law across several industries and sectors, including matters relating to commercial, construction, energy, real estate, public policy, governance, and insolvency. He has particular experience of projects (specifically in the energy and infrastructure sectors), joint ventures, distributorships, investor protection disputes, insurance claims and warranty claims.
He has conducted many local and international arbitrations and recognized as one of the leading practitioners in the field of arbitration in Jordan. He also regularly sits as an arbitrator in institutional and ad hoc arbitrations.
Dr. Al Talhouni served as Minister of Justice to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan across four cabinets throughout 2013 – 2021 with responsibility for law reforms and oversight of all portfolios and Ministry’s strategy. In addition to his role as Minister of Justice, he was deliciated to serve as acting Minister of Interior, acting Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research, and acting Minister of Education. Additionally, Dr. Al Talhouni served as Senator at the Upper House of the Jordanian Parliament from 2016 - 2018. Furthermore, Dr. Talhouni previously worked as General Controller of Companies at the Ministry of Industry & Trade from 2009 – 2011.
He obtained a doctorate degree in law from the University of Edinburgh, a bachelor's degree & master’s degree in Law from the Faculty of Law at the University of Jordan. He is a practicing lawyer and member in the Jordanian Bar Association since 1989.
Additionally, Dr. Al Talhouni held several academic and administrative positions including Chairman of the Board of Trustees, member of the Board of Directors and the Jordan Deposits Insurance Corporation, member of the Jordanian Higher Committee of the Certified Public Accountants Profession, Chairman of the National Corporate Governance Committee, Board Member of the Jordan Industrial Estates Company, Member of the Council of University of Jordan, member of the Faculty of Law, Assistant Dean of the Faculty of Law and Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Law at the University of Jordan.
He has considerable experience in prevention and risk management by advising financial institutions on managing their risks across a range of issues, including in relation to systems and controls and senior management responsibility. In addition, he has extensive experience in advising financial institutions responding to regulators seeking information for use in regulatory or criminal investigations in Jordan and internationally.
- Recently appointed as arbitral tribunal president for a commercial dispute with a disputing amount of JOD 5 million.
- Recently appointed as Legal Counsel in one of the largest international arbitration cases in Jordan under the ICC international arbitration court based in London arising out of energy and infrastructure project valued at over US$ 450 million.
- Participated in a number of arbitration cases locally and internationally, which varied in their topics and focused on arbitration cases relating to the field of contracting with accordance to FIDIC contracts between the Ministry of Works and some local contracting companies.
- An arbitration case between a Jordanian pharmaceutical company and a French pharmaceutical company in accordance to ICC rules.
- Former Chair of the Government Legislative Committee and was involved in drafting many laws and regulations related to different subjects.
- Representing a number of Jordanian contracting companies in arbitration cases before Jordanian arbitration tribunals in cases with varying values, the highest being US$70 million.
- Representing a Jordanian public company in a tax claim case against the Income and Sales Tax Department in a claim amounting to more than JOD 250,000.
- Representing and assisting many real estate developers in preparing their contracts and providing legal advice.
- Representing a Jordanian company before the Jordanian courts in a case against two companies, one Jordanian and the other European, for a claim amounting to 18 million euros.
- Representing international companies such as Microsoft and Autodesk in promoting and protecting their intellectual property rights in the Jordanian market.
- Legal advisor to a major real estate company in Jordan for its projects valued over JOD 70 million.
- Legal advisor to Chemonics to some of its major projects in Jordan under the patronage of USAID.
- Legal consultant for disputing parties in relation to claims arising out of a commercial contract valued at US$ 47 million.
- Providing legal services on a number of matters in relation to transactions which involve IP. This includes: licensing and the buying and selling of businesses, IP dispute resolution and litigation.
- Providing legal services on a number of matters in relation to commercial real estate, and residential real property litigation disputes arise between the purchaser and buyer of residential property; the owner of the residential property and a contractor or subcontractors; and the landlord and tenant of residential premises.
- Providing, consulting and training to a number of international companies such as the US Company (Chemonics) as part of USAID programs.
- Representing public companies and limited liability companies in Jordan.
- Providing various legal advice to a number of local and international companies and investors regarding Jordanian investment law in sectors related to transport, industry and energy.
Membership of Professional Bodies and Committees
- Former Minister of Justice of Jordan at the Government of Jordan.
- Former member of Senates at the Upper House of Jordan.
- Jordan Bar Association, Jordan (Qualified Lawyer).
- Founder of the Jordanian Society for Intellectual Property Rights.
- Former Chairman of Board of Trustee of Al Hussein Technical University.
- Former member of Board of the Jordan Industrial Estates Corporation (JIEC).
- Member of the Jordanian Arbitrators Association.
- Member of the National Committee of the International Chamber of Commerce in Jordan.
Particular Experience: Contracts and Agreements
- Arbitration Agreement
- Services Agreement
- Lease Contract
- Facility Use Agreement
- Dispute Settlement Agreement
- Procurement Agreement
- Extension Services Agreement
- Service Level Agreement
- Construction Agreement (FIDIC)
- Real Estate Contract
- Non-Disclosure Agreement (Both Parties Disclosing, One Party Disclosing)
- Memorandum of Understanding
Particular Experience: Arbitration Laws and Rules
- Jordan Arbitration Law
- New York Convention