Dr. Yazan Dakhlallah Haddadin
Dr.Yazan Dakhlallah Haddadin - Managing Partner
Dr. Yazan Haddadin is the Managing Partner at SERAJ Advocacy & Legal Counseling. He is a legal counsel and international arbitrator and consistently recognized as a leading practitioner in the legal field.
He is a full bilingual contentious and non-contentious lawyer (Arabic and English) with over 16 years of experience. He specializes in dispute resolution as well as commercial, investment and construction matters. He has a wide range of experience representing international clients; he has acted for and advised on major cross-border joint ventures, investors, consultants, contractors, and subcontractors. He has long-standing experience advising government entities and multinational companies on a wide range of projects and matters across the MENA region.
His dispute resolution work focuses on commercial, investment and construction arbitration. During his career Dr. Haddadin has conducted arbitrations subject to many different systems of law, and under various different arbitral rules including LCIA, ICC, DIAC, ADCCAC, DIFC, and UNCITRAL rules.
His non-contentious work includes leading legal negotiations on behalf of employers, managing and setting legal frameworks for mega and complex projects, and issuing legal opinions to executive management.
Dr. Yazan is an attorney admitted to the Jordan Law Bar and a certified International Arbitrator. He holds a Doctorate Degree (PhD) in International Commercial and Investment Arbitration from the University of Warwick and a Master’s Degree (LLM) in International Law from the University of Glasgow, both in the United Kingdom, and a BA Degree in Law from Amman Private University in Jordan.
He was the Legal Expert at the Roads & Transport Authority (RTA) in the Government of Dubai supporting all business units including the Chairman’s office and all CEOs, supervising and overseeing a team of over 50 employees. During his service at the RTA, he led the legal negotiations for all mega projects in addition to leading the Contracts & Procurement Arbitration Team.
Prior to that, he was a Supervising Associate at Simmons & Simmons LLP based in the UAE, where he conducted a mix of dispute resolution practice and contracts drafting related to commercial and construction matters. Further, he was placed on secondment at the Abu Dhabi Department of Transport (DOT) in the Abu Dhabi Government as a Senior Legal Counsel.
Prior to joining Simmons & Simmons LLP, he trained and worked in one of the largest law firms in Jordan specializing in dispute resolution and contracts drafting.
- Recently appointed as Legal Counsel in one of the largest international arbitration cases in Jordan under the ICC international arbitration court based in London arising out of energy and infrastructure project valued at over US$ 450 million.
- The Government of Dubai – Roads & Transport Authority as legal expert, leading the Procurement Arbitration Team with regard to ad hoc and institutional arbitrations, leading the Procurement Department in its standardization of contractual and legal documents, and drafting, reviewing and modifying construction contracts in relation to the Expo 2020 Metro Project valued at over AED 10 billion
- The Government of Dubai – Roads & Transport Authority representing RTA in one of the largest disputes in the UAE (infrastructure dispute) with a claim of over AED 2 billion
- The Government of Abu Dhabi – Abu Dhabi Department of Transport as senior counsel, assisting in all matters relating to the Abu Dhabi LTR/Metro projects including disputes with the design consultants and issues relating to potential termination, and advising on FIDIC contracts valued at over AED 800 million relating to infrastructure projects (rail & road)
- On 20 arbitration cases related to a major UAE property developer on ADCCAC-based arbitration
- On 10 arbitration cases related to construction dispute in UAE on ICC-based arbitration
- An international joint venture contractor in relation to a FIDIC-based contract, providing specific advice on arbitration procedures
- A developer with respect to a claim valued at AED 350 million arising out of a development on Reem Island, Abu Dhabi
- A major Italian contractor on its rights and obligations in a contract worth AED 300 million and on UAE law in relation to the suspension and subsequent termination of its services for non-payment for the construction works.
- Dubai based medical service provider in connection with its initial public offering and primary listing on the DFM
- A mechanical and electrical contractor in a dispute related to delays incurred on a hospital project in Umm Al Quwain, UAE
- Integrated financial group in connection with numerous co-investments including for the development of a hotel and towers in the UAE
- Representing special committees of independent board members created to negotiate, analyze and report on the fairness to the public shareholders of a specific business transaction proposed between a company and a controlling shareholder, a director or management (confidential client)
- On civil litigations, representing clients in UAE local courts in relation to civil and construction disputes, and in Jordanian courts in respect of commercial and civil litigations
- KLM, Air France, Alitalia airlines, Jordan on the management of pre-trial dispute resolution, and on commercial contracts
- Jordan Dubai Islamic Bank (JDIB) and Bank al Etihad, Jordan on the management and drafting of legal due diligences
- International corporate clients on the establishment of their presence in Jordan, including drafting memoranda and articles of association, memoranda of understanding, and non-disclosure agreements
Membership of Professional Bodies and Committees
- Jordan Bar Association, Jordan (Qualified Lawyer)
- Arbitrator Intelligence, Pennsylvania, USA (Ambassador to Jordan and UAE)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), UK (registered Council Member)
- British Institute of International and Comparative Law (BIICL), UK
- International Center of Arbitration (Certified International Arbitrator)
- The Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF) of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
Particular Experience: Contracts and Agreements
- Affiliation Agreement
- Arbitration Agreement
- Dispute Settlement Agreement
- Procurement Agreement
- Services Agreement
- Extension Services Agreement
- Service Level Agreement
- Construction Agreement (FIDIC)
- Contract for Professional Services
- Real Estate Contract
- Lease Contract
- Assignment Agreement
- Facility Use Agreement
- Joint Venture Agreement
- Shareholders’ Agreement
- License Agreement
- Waiver Agreement for Disclosure
- Labor Contract
- Memorandum of Agreement
- Memorandum of Understanding
- Research Agreement
- Non-Disclosure Agreement (Both Parties Disclosing, One Party Disclosing)
Particular Experience: Arbitration Laws and Rules
- UNCITRAL law
- Jordan Arbitration Law
- UAE Arbitration Law
- New York Convention